Sunday, September 18, 2011

Agility Session 2

Tonight's training session proved to be better as I had hoped for. Bella started out pulling at the leash and being overexcited but after I jogged around the area once she was calmer and not making a sound.

The focus was already better but when we started trying to work more off-leash Bella started running for the other two dogs (we were still only 3). First it was friendly but then a familiar spiral of dog-aggression started which ended in an almost-fight before she came back to me. After that she was much more focused, maybe because I decided to use whatever feelings I had on the training and being firm and decisive.

Bella was often easily distracted but I found out that what she needed was for me to be quicker. I can safely say that I was dripping with sweat after the one hour session! The faster I was able to go and give commands, the better Bella ran the obstacles.

She had one more run-in with the Chihuahua she tried to attack earlier and before I knew it he was on his back and Bella frozen on top of him. The bullied turns into a bully! Poor guy was terrified of her after that. In spite of that I was pleased with the session itself. I hope that Bella will relax even more next time.

Unfortunately I'm still a bit of a mess, my left hip-leg joint is still really owwie after I run, especially with all the sprinting, stopping, sprinting and twisting my body and turning while running. It's a sign I need to return back to the gym and do lots of squats and strengthening excercises. I refuse to accept that a single pregnancy will ruin my ability to sprint and run.

 Finally, I was extremely pleased to be able to use dog food as treats tonight. We recently changed to the Canadian Orijen brand of food and use one type as her normal food and also bought a sack of fish-food for treats. Bella loves fish and lobster so we figured it might work as treats. I love the idea of normal food for treats and so far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment