Sunday, October 24, 2010

Brrr, it's cold!

Living in Iceland does not mean a lot of snow anymore in my part of the country. We have in fact had a gorgeous drawn-out autumn this year. Eventually the temperature always drops as it has the past few days.

My fiancé dragged me out the door this afternoon to take Bella out for a run. We live in the outskirts of Reykjavik so not even five minutes from our apartment we can reach nice empty spaces. Now I can't walk far so I've found out that my dog is perfectly happy with me moving like a sloth as long as I just keep moving. Right at the beginning we roused a bird called rjúpa, which a quick internet search indicates is called Ptarmigan in Europe and Partridge in North America. With the exceptional autumn the poor bird stuck out like a sore thumb, all white in a very dark environment.

Having found the bird I decided to edge our way along the edge of the forest (it's more of a bush to tell the truth!) and Bella ran happily back and forth, into the thicket and out again. We found no other birds but it was a nice walk, did both of us a world of good.

At home I've enjoyed a lazy Sunday but I did take some time to try to teach Bella to take and hold an object. I've looked at videos and tried to read about the process but there's some obstacle that makes Bella content at just touching the object, she just won't take it into her mouth. I just can't figure out where I'm going wrong but I refuse to give up.

Another thing I am working on with her is crate training her. We had put off buying a crate because I felt they were just so expensive given I am just going to use it here at home. We finally found a place that sells them for half the price of what we had been looking at. It's going pretty well, I've not really been focusing on it and just strewn her food on the floor for now. Everything gets eaten so no problems there.

No comments:

Post a Comment